Another Monday! Did you have a restful & restorative weekend or did you have a super active/do all of the errands ever kind of weekend? Ours was a mixture of both, consisting of two glorious evenings of fireside chats and cocktails followed by a trip to both the grocery store and Costco. It’s all about that balance and this chili of course, so lets get to it.
Chili is one of my favorite foods to eat in the cooler months. You can switch up the ingredients depending on what you’re craving or who you are cooking for, and for the most part, it’s pretty healthy. Which means topping it with extra Fritos, sour cream and piles of cheddar cheese is totally acceptable.
Barbecue sauce is my favorite condiment, I put it on everything- chicken, burgers, quesadillas, tacos- you name it, I’ll cover it in barbecue sauce. The last time I was eating bbq chicken I thought to myself, I don’t even need the sides, I could just eat a bowl of shredded bbq chicken and be done. That thought combined with seeing a few chicken chili recipes around the web, morphed into this bbq chicken chili idea. It’s both sweet and savory, with a little bit of a kick.
This time I topped it with Frito’s because they are one of Michael’s favorites but I’m usually a cornbread person when it comes to chili. You could also serve this with biscuits, that would be over-the-top delicious!
It hits all the traditional chili flavors but with a twist of the bbq sauce and the roasted red peppers. I finished it with a splash of apple cider vinegar and a splash of Worcestershire sauce to balance out the sweetness and savory flavors here. I know finishing your chili with apple cider vinegar sounds weird but try not to skip that step, it’s important!
Pile the Fritos high!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (left the seeds in)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 12 oz cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded (I grilled mine for more smokey flavor)
- 12-oz jar roasted red peppers in water, drained and chopped
- 1½ cups canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 12oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup regular barbecue sauce
- ½ cup spicy barbeque sauce (I used the sriracha one from trader joes)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- cheddar cheese, for topping
- chopped cilantro, for topping
- fritos, for topping
- thinly sliced jalapenos, for topping
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion, jalapeño, red pepper and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add the chicken, red peppers, beans, chicken stock, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and barbecue sauce, Worcestershire and apple cider vinegar stirring to combine.
- Cover the pot, lower the heat to medium low, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and taste, adjusting the seasoning to taste, if needed.
- Cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and top with cheddar cheese, fritos and cilantro. Enjoy!