Happy Monday! We are comin’ in HOT on this first day of the week. Today, I’m giving you the least Monday type food of all time, cupcakes! I thought about posting a salad recipe today but if you’re gonna be a bear be a grizzly.
The idea for these little beauties was all Mike’s. I’ve been making these fudgey brownie cupcakes sans cheesecake filling for a few years now and the last time I made them he said “you know what would make these even better? If they were half cheese cake.” I couldn’t really argue with that and it’s safe to say… he was right! (Don’t let it go to your head Michael.) These are SO delicious and decadent.
I use a classic fudge brownie recipe for the brownie portion of this treat but you could also totally use a store bought box- I’ve done that MANY times. The cheesecake filling is super simple, comprising of just cream cheese, 1 egg yolk, sugar and vanilla. As for the icing, check your judgement at the door because it comes straight out of a jar! I’ve made home made chocolate icing time, after time and I can’t seem to find a recipe that comes even close to as good as Betty Crocker’s stuff that comes out of the can. Because of that, I’ve decided to put that torch down and always go with the store bought stuff when it comes to chocolate icing.
I hope you guys had a great weekend, but if you didn’t these cupcakes will get your week started off on the right foot. It was a good one over here full of great food, a Wegman’s trip where I spent way more than I should have and evenings spent outside around the fire. I hope fall stays forever.
- Brownie Batter:
- ¾ cup (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- one 4 ounce semi-sweet chocolate bar, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened natural or dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and ¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cheesecake filling:
- 1 8 oz bar cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ granulated sugar
- Icing: Buy your favorite chocolate fudge icing and call it a day!
- Brownie batter: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and 2 ounces of chopped chocolate. Melt in 30 second increments, whisking after each, until completely smooth. Whisk in the sugar until completely combined, then whisk in the eggs and vanilla. The batter will be light brown and a little dull looking. Add the cocoa powder, flour, salt, remaining 2 ounces of chopped chocolate and the chocolate chips. Fold it all together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Batter will be very thick.
- Cheesecake filling: beat together cream cheese, vanilla, egg and sugar.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners. Fill them half way with brownie batter. Top the brownie batter with 1-2 tablespoons of cream cheese filling, depending on how cheesecake-y you want them to be. take a toothpick or a butter knife and run it through the batter to get a swirly looking top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Do not over bake. You want them to be fudgey on the inside!
- Let cool completely and ice with your icing. Store at room temperature for the day but then in the refrigerator after that. They last in the fridge for up to a week!