I promise I eat things other than sweets. Sometimes. Looking at this blog you would think the contrary though. Baked goods are just so much easier to take pictures of. This was my first ever carrot cake! I’ve always thought carrot cake was strictly a grandma type of food. You know, like plain shredded wheat cereal and prune juice. But it isn’t! It’s soooo much better.
There is no way to photograph this batter so that it doesn’t look like vomit. Pretty, orange-y, fall vomit. Moving on. THIS CAKE, is delicious. The sweetness of the carrots mixed with the vanilla and cinnamon, it’s to die for. Throw some cream cheese icing on top and it’s pretty much impossible to not eat multiple slices in one sitting. PLUS there are veggies in this cake. Veggies + cake = an excuse to eat more. Sign me up.
Carrot cake always reminds me of my mom. Growing up there was this bakery right next to our local grocery store that sold individual slices of carrot cake and it being my mom’s favorite, we bought many a slice of carrot cake there, after grocery shopping of course. I was never really into it, especially when they put nuts on it, and always went for a black and white cookie or a few rainbow cookies instead. With time though, my taste buds have come around to liking carrot cake and other cakes that aren’t chocolate and/or covered in sprinkles. Who would’ve thought.
I have to thank my girl Ree, The Pioneer Woman for this awesome and EASY recipe. Can we talk about The Pioneer Woman for a second? I love that woman. She is like your bff, your sister and your mom, all rolled into one. And all of her Anthropologie floral shirts. I’m into in.
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Grated Carrots
- For Icing:
- 1 stick Regular Butter, Softened
- 1 package (8 Oz) Cream Cheese
- 1 pound Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 cup Pecans, Chopped Finely (optional, I left them out)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix together the sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. In another bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add to first mixture and combine.
- Then add carrots and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured (Baker’s Joyed) pan (bundt, sheet cake, 9 x 13 pyrex) and bake at 350F until done, 25 (sheet cake) to 50 (Bundt pan) minutes, depending on the pan you use.
- Cool completely.
- Make your icing:
- In larger bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and vanilla and blend, then mix in the nuts. Spread on cooled carrot cake.
Lets eat cake!