Happy Friday Eve people! And speaking of Friday, no need to look any further for weekend breakfast plans, I’ve got you. This skillet is everything you’d want and more in a breakfast and it all comes together in count em- ONE pan.
I’m a huge fan of breakfast and I generally never skip it (and if I do, look out, crank train is comin’ through!) This breakfast is particularly great because it covers all of your breakfast bases. It’s got potatoes in the form of tater tots, tons of crispy bacon, loads of cheddar cheese, eggs and I threw in some peppers and onions so that we can go right ahead call this a “healthy” well balanced breakfast.
This is my new favorite brunch or breakfast and I’m already thinking about the next time I can make it. While eating this in bed over the weekend, we were saying how delicious McDonald’s breakfast is and we agreed that this breakfast skillet, while 100 times better than McDonald’s, also encompasses everything a Mcmuffin does plus the crispy tots on the top are reminiscent of a Mickey D hash brown. Just one more reason to go right ahead and make this skillet immediately!
This would be great as a Christmas morning breakfast because you can crisp up the bacon with the peppers and onions the night before, along with mixing up the egg mixture and then just throw it all together in the morning! It feeds a crowd and leaves you with all of the cozy comfort food vibes a special breakfast should. And lastly, this is SUPER customizable. IF you’re trying to be healthy, use crumbled up chicken sausage and feta or goat cheese instead of bacon and cheddar. If you want to get crazy, use BOTH bacon and sausage and two kinds of cheese- go on with your bad self! And make this skillet ASAP.
- 6-8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk or half & half
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 8 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen tater tots
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives or scallions for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until just crispy and the fat is almost rendered. Stir in the onion, peppers, garlic powder, chili flakes, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables soften and the bacon is fully crispy. Turn off the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and cheese. Stir the tater tots into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture over top of the bacon and veggies in the skillet.
- Bake the skillet for 35 to 45 minutes, until the eggs are set. Serve immediately and top with fresh chives or herbs of your choice!