It’s almost the weekend and I have the ultimate weekend or game day snack for ya! Buffalo chicken meatballs. There are a couple of things I could eat week after week and buffalo flavored ANYTHING is one of them. I sometimes even put it on my eggs in the morning. There is something about buffalo sauce that makes it feel like you’re being bad or having a treat. I think that’s because buffalo sauce goes hand in hand with drinking beers and attending gatherings be it a Superbowl party or a Friday night out at the bar.
While I am totally down to dive into the real thing every once in a while, it’s nice to be able to get a buffalo chicken fix without feeling like garbage the next day.
With these meatballs you actually aren’t being bad at all. They are made with ground chicken and ground turkey, quickly seared and then tossed into a slow cooker to slowly bathe in buffalo sauce for about 4-6 hours.
We ate these over zoodles! But you could totally serve them as an appetizer as is, or if you want to get really crazy you could serve them over mac and cheese or on a baguette as a sandwich (which is what I plan to do with the minimal leftovers still in my fridge.)
There is something about Fall that makes me want to eat hearty & homey food and meatballs are just one of those foods for me.
- 2 pounds ground chicken (I used half ground turkey & half ground chicken)
- 3 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup romano cheese
- 1 packet of ranch seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- ⅔ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- to serve: chopped cilantro, chopped chives, sliced scallions, ranch dressing for drizzling, crumbled blue cheese or feta cheese
- In a large bowl, add chicken, turkey, egg, 3 tablespoons wing sauce, olive oil, ranch powder, green onions, cheeses, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt, pepper, basil and parsley. Mix to combine, gently tossing a few times with your hands.
- Roll the chicken into 1-inch meatballs.
- Sear the meatballs in the vegetable oil for a minute or two on each side.
- Place the browned meatballs into the slow cooker and cover with the buffalo wing sauce.
- Add the butter pieces on top. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- To serve, cover with a ranch dressing drizzle, more buffalo sauce, chopped chives, green onions, cilantro and blue cheese.