Guess who hasn’t started her Christmas shopping yet?! THIS GIRL. But it’s OK, because I’m about to try and convince you that eating tater tots for breakfast is healthy. Hear me out!
Remember that cheesy bacon breakfast skillet I made a few weeks ago? Well, this is a *healthier* version of that. I lightened it up by using chicken sausage instead of bacon, 1/2 the amount of cheese and I replaced whole milk with 1%. It’s a lightened up version that tastes just as delicious and sinful as the heavier bacon version. AND you won’t need a nap after, though you should totally still take a nap, even if you don’t need one. There’s always time for a nap.
This breakfast skillet is casserole-ish the way it bakes up and the way everything gets thrown together in one dish. I LOVE casseroles. They are so comforting and homey and I always think of the chicken and rice one my mom used to make when I was growing up.
The BEST thing about this version, is I sauteed the peppers, onions, garlic, spices and chicken sausage the night before, then heated it up in the skillet the next morning, threw together the egg mixture, poured it on top and then baked it. If you do it that way, this is a super quick yet impressive & delicious weekend morning breakfast! This would be especially awesome for Christmas morning. And if you have one of those hippie’s in your family that doesn’t eat meat like we do (hi Jen, love you) you could make this with mock meat or veggie sausage crumbles! Breakfast casserole for everyone on all of the different diets.
Speaking of Christmas morning, what are you guys making this year? We used to always get bagels (#newyork) and have a big bacon & egg breakfast but in years past we’ve had a breakfast casserole similar to this one, equally as delicious as the bagels!
I hope you guys love it.
- 1 box chicken breakfast sausage, chopped up
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 large eggs
- ¾ cup skim or 1% milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 4 oz or ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen tater tots (regular or sweet potato if you're trying to get wild!)
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives or scallions for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, the onion, peppers, garlic powder, chili flakes, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables soften. Turn off the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and cheese. Stir the tater tots into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture over top of the bacon and veggies in the skillet.
- Bake the skillet for 35 to 45 minutes, until the eggs are set. Serve immediately and top with fresh chives or herbs of your choice!