Hi there! It’s been a minute. I just got back from Ireland and it was amazing. Though I love to travel, at heart I am a homebody. I am so happy to be home (I love this country of ours very much) and to be entering one of my favorite seasons, FALL. Before I blow up this site with apples and pumpkins and everything cinnamon flavored, I wanted to post one more summery salad type recipe because the truth is, while this was my go-to summer dinner-for-one, you could really make this anytime!
Before I left for Ireland, in preparation for eating tons of bread, potatoes and beer, I was eating this salad a few times a week. It comes together super quick and its customizable! Want more cabbage, go for it, don’t like carrots, leave em’ out!
I like to make a big batch of whatever protein I am using ahead of time. Here, I used ground turkey but you could use ground chicken, grilled chicken, or even shrimp would be delicious! I also mix together all of the greens and veggies, along with a big batch of dressing earlier in the week, then it’s ready to go all week long for whenever you decide it’s time to put the bacon down and consume some green stuff.
- 2 cups finely chopped green cabbage
- 1 cup chopped curly kale
- 1 cup finely shredded romaine
- 3 carrots shredded
- ½ a red onion sliced thin
- ½ a cucumber finely chopped
- Ground Turkey:
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Sriracha Ranch (with Greek yogurt!):
- ½ cup of buttermilk
- ½ cup of nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs (I used parsley, chives & dill)
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 3 tablespoons of sriracha sauce
- For the salad, chop all of your veggies and place in a bowl.
- For the dressing, mix together all of you salad dressing ingredients and place in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
- For the meat, heat the olive oil over a medium flame and add the garlic. Let the garlic toast for about a minute and then add the meat and taco seasoning. Cook until browned and cooked through. About 15 minutes.
- To serve, toss it all in a bowl and enjoy, or keep all salad parts separate and eat throughout the week as wanted.