These sandwiches, were so good, maybe even BETTER than any pulled pork sandwich I’ve recently had, or at least we can call it a tie. I wanted to put a healthier twist on a pulled pork sandwich, enter: the pulled chicken sandwich.
I think the best part of this recipe is how EASY it was. You basically just throw everything in a crockpot, set it to low for 8 hours and then you’re done. My kinda cookin. I first found the recipe here, on my imaginary internet BFF Jessica’s blog. She really does make the best things. These were the perfect thing to have while watching football this past Sunday and it made a bunch so we had left overs. Pulled chicken tacos anyone? Or how about a pulled chicken pizza? The possibilities these leftovers offer are endless.
For the top, I made a kale slaw with a super light dressing. I’m pretty picky when it comes to slaw, if it’s soggy and drowning in mayo, I turn the other way. But, if it’s lightly dressed and isn’t just cabbage (BORING) then I’m into it. I mixed kale with carrots and spices and a tiny bit of mayo and it came out great.
- BBQ Pulled Chicken:
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 large)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces of beer (I used a pumpkin ale)
- 32 ounces of barbecue sauce
- Kale Slaw:
- 4 Cups of kale, shredded
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- 3 Tablespoons of mayo
- 1 Teaspoon vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ Teaspoon sugar
- ½ Teaspoons salt
- ½ Teaspoon pepper
- 1 Teaspoon hot sauce
- Season chicken with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add to crock-pot, then add beer and 24 ounces of barbecue sauce.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, tossing once or twice if desired.
- After 8 hours, shred and add remaining barbecue sauce.
- Toss chicken to coat and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving to absorb everything.
- Serve on buns with kale slaw.
- KALE SLAW
- Mix together mayo, vinegar, mustard, sugar and spices
- Add shredded kale and carrots
- Toss, toss, toss
- Refrigerate for at least an hours before serving.
Go make these sandwiches. I give you permission to have 2 (or five.) There’s kale on top so its pretty much a health food.