It’s Monday aka, time for us to all get our acts together! And time to eat a salad. This one is delish and is massaged with a garlicky Greek yogurt Caesar dressing- making it not so salad-y and not so monday-y.
It’s super simple, comprising of just the dressing, kale, avocado and chic peas but each component has a lil’ something special with the chic peas being roasted until crisp, the avocado being seasoned with sea salt and the kale being smothered in the most delicious homemade garlicky dressing.
The kale gets massaged with the dressing. That’s right, “massaged.” It’s the key to making kale palatable and chewable (if you will.) It completely changes the texture and totally makes this salad! I just use my *clean* hands to work the dressing into the kale. I usually add my dressing to the greens and massage it for 2 or 3 minutes, just mushing the greens and dressing between my fingers. Then I throw it in the fridge for 5 or 10 more minutes before serving so it can marinate for a little bit.
Can we all agree that if butter was a vegetable, it would be an avocado? So creamy and so delicious! I go through at least two a week. I love the avocado here because it blends well with the creamy texture of the dressing.
Last but not least we have to talk about the crispy chic peas. They are my new favorite snack and super healthy for you! You can switch up the seasoning however you like but in this salad I made them a little bit spicy for an added kick. They roast for 30-40 mins and become these amazing little crunchy pops of flavor in the salad. When I make this salad, I make extra to have around for the week!
If you feel like the salads need a little something extra aka meat (hi Michael) – you could totally add roasted chicken, flank steak, or even some roasted pork tenderloin. You could pretty much throw any protein on top of this salad and it would work.
Is your act together yet? Yea, me either.
- 5 cups chopped kale
- 2 avocado sliced
- Roasted Chic Peas:
- 1 can chic peas
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
- ½ cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried or fresh, whatever you've got!)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat over to 425 degrees. Place the chickpeas on a paper towel and pat the as dry as you can. Remove any loose skins. Put the chickpeas on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil or the oil of your choice. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Toss well to coat. Make sure the chickpeas are in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, toss well and flip, then bake for about 15 to 20 minutes more.
- While they are roasting, prep your dressing. Combine Greek yogurt, Parmesan, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, basil, salt, pepper and milk. Mix it all together and put it in the fridge to marinate and get to know each other for about 20 or 30 minutes.
- While the dressing is marinating and the chic peas are roasting, prep your greens and your avocado. Tear kale into bit sized pieces and slice avocado thinly. Top the avocado with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- To assemble the salads, massage the greens with the Caesar dressing, then top with roasted chic peas and avocados. Garnish with more Parmesan, and croutons to make this salad over the top delish!