Oh hey! I’ve got a delicious winter salad for ya!
Did you know that one salad on a Monday = the total erasing of all the garbage and treats you ate over the weekend. It’s basic math. And this salad in particular is especially good for you because it’s base is kale and brussels sprouts, topped with pomegranate seeds and roasted raw almonds. It’s basically one big bowl of super foods.
I got the idea for this salad from one of my go-to Trader Joe favorites, the “Cruciferous Crunch” salad. It’s a salad much like this one except they sell it all pre-chopped and ready to go. I wanted to make a salad like that one, but bigger and with a few more twists like pomegranate seeds, feta cheese and my house dressing. Speaking of the house dressing, this time I follow the exact recipe plus a 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar. I’ve been on a balsamic vinegar kick lately, using it in everything from salads, to marinades to reducing it and making it into a drizzle to top cheese boards.
And finally, lets talk about the almonds we’re working with here. I toasted them in a little bit of butter and Cajun seasoning for a little bit of a kick & some chili powder for a smoky flavor. They are so good and you should probably make some extra just to have a round for snacking.
This week, I’m putting my nose to the grind stone and getting myself back on track with eating well, getting my butt to the gym and recipe testing cookies and appetizers for this holiday season. A big batch of this salad is going to be prepped and ready to roll in my fridge to distract me from the 500 cookies hanging out in my cupboard. Do you think it will work? I’ll report back.
This was even approved by my brussel-sprout-hating, meat & potato loving boyfriend and if he likes it, I’m pretty sure almost anyone will like it!
- 4 cups of kale chopped
- 2 cups of brussels sprouts, shredded or chopped finely
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon butter
- salt & pepper
- 1 batch of "the house dressing" (linked above) plus ¼ cup balsamic vinegar mixed in
- Chop up your kale, brussels sprouts, & shallots.
- Prep you pomegranate seeds by drying them off on a paper towel and make sure your feta is crumbled and ready to go!
- Next, toast your almonds. Put the butter, almonds, Cajun seasoning and a sprinkle of salt and pepper into a saute pan. Toast them until they are slightly darker in color. about 5 minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, put the kale and brussels sprouts in a bowl. Top with 3-4 tablespoons of the dressing and massage it together to work the dressing into the kale. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, top with feta cheese, pomegranate seeds, toasted almonds and shallots.
- Serve and devour!