I started graduate school this week. Gulp. Does that mean summer is officially over? I’m going to go with yes, because even when I’m not in school, I can’t remove myself from my elementary-school-state-of-mind that says “School starting = summer over.” But just because my silly brain says it’s so doesn’t mean it’s true, which brings me to this squash. SUMMER squash, I can’t get enough of you.
On Tuesdays in front of the law school, there is the cutest little farmers market and my favorite vegetable vendor “Tuckey’s” always has the most beautiful summer produce. These zucchinis were HUGE! And- they were only 1 dollar each! ONE DOLLAR. Can you get anything for one dollar at the grocery store? The best thing about zucchini is how many things you can do with it. It’s a blank canvas for flavoring and transforming. I’ve been seeing all of these recipes for zoodles and I think I may want to try that next but first, these beautiful stuffed zucchini love boats!
I put all kinds of things in the stuffing, including; quinoa, beans, onions, seasoning, ricotta cheese and an egg to hold it all together. This is just a starter- you could add meat or more veggies and even more cheese if you’re really looking to party. After I stuffed them, I topped them with more cheese, because CHEESE and baked them off. For all you week-long-meal-preppers out there, you could even make the stuffing ahead of time and come back to it later in the week to get a jump on this recipe.
Going back to the whole school thing, can we talk about school supplies? I can’t stop! All of the folders and the highlighters and the pens! I want them all. While I was in target last week, I saw an entire gel pen display. GEL PENS, like 1998 gel pens. Then I walked over to the shoe section and there were platform slip-on sandals. Like, baby spice platform sandals. I think it’s 1998 again, everyone. Where did I leave my black swirley choker?
- 4 zucchini or yellow squash
- ¼ cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 onion, diced and sauteed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of beans of your choice
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar
- cook your quinoa
- slice the squash in half and scoop out all of the insides
- rub them with two tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, bake for 20 mins. @ 450
- while that is happening, sautee your onion and your garlic in one tablespoon of olive oil
- mix together: quinoa, beans, onion/garlic mixture, taco seasoning, salt and pepper, ricotta cheese, egg and ½ cup shredded cheese
- remove the squash from the oven and stuff them with your mixture
- top them with the rest of the cheddar cheese and broil them for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly
- serve with sour cream, avocado and tons of hot sauce