Let’s get it all out on the table straight away, I am a condiment junkie. Give me a sauce, a dip, a topping of some sort and I am a happy girl. Condiments are also usually filled with sugar, oils and other weird ingredients most people can’t even pronounce, especially salad dressings. This dressing solves all of those problems and it is DELISH.
The star of the “house dressing” show is apple cider vinegar. This stuff is amazing and has been found to be a cure-all for many things from banishing hiccups, whitening teeth, getting rid of dandruff, to even lowering base line blood-sugar levels in type 2 diabetics. Nutritionally, it helps with digestion, fights free radicals, can aid in preventing osteoporosis and also helps with weight-loss and detoxing the liver. One too many margaritas? Down a few tablespoons of this liquid gold.
The dressing also has fresh garlic, herbs, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and a bit of honey to balance out all of the tangy-acidic ingredients. This dressing is delicious on greens and salads of all kinds but it’s also amazing to marinate meat in or top roasted veggies with right out of the oven.
This is the official condiment of the Farmers Market Challenge and we’ve already noticed some benefits- Mike’s heart burn it pretty much gone and my general digestion has been better too. Get in to it!
- 1 & ½ cups apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced (I usually use two because we like things garlicy around here!)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Combine all ingredients in a jar
- Shake, shake, shake!
- Store in the fridge for up to two weeks (but you'll probably finish it before that, if you're doing life right)