It’s getting cold and I’m loving it. I unpacked my scarfs and my hats and my gloves. Come at me winter! You know what else comes with winter and colder weather, chili! And this one, is a good one.
Let me start this post by telling you what a crappy fake-blogger I am, in my haste to eat this delicious chili when it was done, I didn’t take a picture of the finish product, in a bowl, topped with all of the toppings that absolutely MAKE the chili. Like cheese, sour cream, finely chopped red onion and avocados. FAIL. You win some, you loose some, but I can assure you that it was beautiful and delicious and looked great in my new Pier One recycled glass bowls. Moving on.
I made this chili in my crock pot because chili is one of those foods that gets better and better the longer it sits. You could totally cook this on the stove top but I don’t think it would be quite as good. You want to give all of the flavors lots of time to get to know one another, to mix and mingle, and tell each other embarrassing stories, before you make them leave the party. Go home chili, you’re drunk. See what I’m saying? Speaking of drunk, there is BEER in this chili. You can use whatever type of beer you want but I went with a pumpkin beer or an oktoberfest, obviously.
The best part of this chili is that you basically chop everything, open all of your cans, measure out all of your spices and throw it in the slow cooker and then forget about it for 8 hours. There is no pre-cooking, sauteing or browning to be done. Sign. Me. Up.
So dust off your crock pot and get cookin. You won’t regret this one. And if you aren’t a complete glutton like us, you may even have leftovers for lunch for the week! DO IT.
- 1 can black beans beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper chopped in adobe sauce
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, small dice
- 1 cup beer
- 2 cups water
- Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, red onion and avocado for topping, optional (but not really, are you really going to eat chili without cheese? I don't think so.)
- Drain the beans. Chop the veggies. Measure the spices. add everything to the crock pot. Top with water, beer, crushed tomatoes and water. Mix mix mix. "Set it and forget it!"
- After cooking on high for 8 hours, take the lid off and let sit for 30 mins to let some of the water evaporate. Serve with corn bread or chips and lots of toppings!