When I think of banana bread, I think of my mom. When I was little, she didn’t make it often but every once in a while when there were leftover bananas, getting ready to kick the bucket, she did! I remember it being SO delicious and it was usually gone before the end of the day from all of us walking by and grabbing slivers throughout the day. This banana bread is like hers, but with a healthy twist.
It’s made with whole wheat pastry flour, Greek yogurt and coconut oil. I’m in love with the coco. Have you guys tried it as a moisturizer yet? Its pretty much the greatest thing ever. I used it all winter on my legs and my feet and even around my eyes to take off make up. Coconut oil for life.
I really love having something like this for breakfast. Most days around here it’s a green smoothie or oatmeal. On the weekends we have fancier, more involved things like eggs and pancakes. Making a loaf of this bread on a Sunday is so nice because I can cut it into individual slices and wrap them up for quick breakfasts throughout the week. I store them in the fridge and then grab one on the way to work in the morning. It makes week days mornings just a leeeeetle bit better.
- 1⅔ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons vanilla bean greek yogurt
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan thoroughly with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, whisking thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar until smooth. Add in coconut milk, yogurt, and coconut oil, whisking until combined. Stir in mashed bananas, vanilla and extract until mixed. Slowly stir in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter in the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for about 75 minutes.