This is turning into a muffin blog. I promise I do make other things, sometimes.
This month has FLOWN by. 2015 didn’t get off with the greatest start but here we are a month later and things are looking up in all directions and I am now actually very excited for this year and all that it has to offer. I’m finally over the sinus infection/cold/flu thing I had going on for a few weeks and I have an entire line up of healthy recipes I want to try for the new year! In other blog news, I got a new camera for Christmas! It’s a Nikon DSLR D3200. Now, I just have to learn how to use it properly. I’ve been playing around with it since I got it and I’m looking forward to using it even more this year. I am really excited to up my picture game over here. Now, muffins.
These bad boys are pretty healthy as far as cake for breakfast goes. They have whole wheat flower, very little sugar, bananas and honey! There are super easy to whip up and a great way to use up those bananas that are currently dying on your kitchen counter. If you want to get real fancy you could even add a crumble to the top.
Word to the wise, spray your muffin liners. I never used to do this, but it makes a world of difference in the liner-peeling department when you are finally ready to devour these little banana muffin clouds. You could also add chocolate chips or nuts or maybe even coconut flakes here too! I added dark chocolate chunks to half of my batter because who doesn’t love banana and chocolate together? I left half of the batter plain for someone whose name starts with a “B” and ends with an “ecky.” We ate them hot out of the oven for breakfast and then throughout the weekend for snacks. And yes, this is totally a reasonable and healthy-ish snack in my book. I mean it has fruit and whole grains.
Totally a snack food.
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (or salted butter if it's all you've got!)
- 3 large bananas mashed
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¼ cup chocolate chunks if using
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- Line muffin pan with liners and spray them with a little bit of non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, sugar and vanilla.
- Add the bananas and the butter.
- Gradually mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Next, stir in milk until just combined. Don't over mix! Finally, add in chocolate chunks or nuts if using.
- Fill muffin liners ⅔ way full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until tops are no longer wet and slightly golden. A good way to know if they are done is to lightly push down on the top of a muffin, if it bounces back and leaves no imprint, they are done!